Tuesday, March 13, 2012

What We Do Matters...To Everyone!

*Note* The flu threw me for a loop pretty good and changed my plans for Lenten devotional writing. So...on to other plans for Easter!


Flu season is upon us in full force. The doctor tells me we are experiencing a late “flu season” and judging by how difficult it is to get Tami-flu at the local pharmacy he seems to be right! I know of what I speak for I am just getting over a bout of the sickness. The flu bug entered our home and paid a personal visit to both me and my son. My wife escaped any sickness which, since she did not get the flu shot this year, I can only attribute to God’s mercy toward me and the boy; we were both completely worthless for about a week and needed mom/wife/nurse Kim! If I were Catholic I might believe she to have earned her sainthood last week! We are both very thankful both to God and Kim for nursing us back to health!

Unfortunately, my flu was a malady I suffered this year for the simple fact I procrastinated and never got a flu shot. Who am I kidding? I have yet to receive a flu shot in any of my 41 years of life on this earth. Somehow I have missed the flu during this span (at least in my adult years) but recent experience has caused me to rethink my annual roll of the dice. Knowing me and my short memory, I might be tempted to skip the flu shot or procrastinate again next year had I been the only one to suffer the ill effects of my foolishness this year. But, my son suffered for my poor decision. I did not get a flu shot, caught the flu and brought the bug home to my son (who did not receive his flu shot because the doctor was out of the vaccine at his six month check-up). The flu was tough to endure but it was a cakewalk compared to watching my son suffer its ill effects. I would do anything to keep him from ever experiencing that again! If only we had the same understanding of how our sin affects those closest to us.

Some years ago, at another church where I was pastor, I noticed a young woman crying following one of our worship services. I walked over to her in order to find out if she needed prayer or help and discovered her heart was broken because her father’s extra-marital affair had been discovered the week prior. In the heat of his passion and lust this young lady’s father thought very little of how his decision to cheat would bring brokenness into the life of his daughter. Her life would be forever changed because of the sin of one close to her. So often we bear the consequences of the sins of those around us and are left to pick up the pieces. As the poet once said, “no man is an island” and our actions affect everyone around us.

The flip side of this is the opportunity we have to impact the lives of others for good and the Kingdom of God. It does not take George Bailey, Clarence the angel or a movie to show us we can have a “Wonderful Life.” Scripture has already told us how this happens as we follow Christ and His purpose for our life. When we share our faith or live the love of Christ, others are affected in a positive sense. Take a look at your life and consider how your decisions are affecting others for the Kingdom of God and good or creating hurt and hardship. Do not fall into the trap of believing you and your decisions are purely of a personal nature! What you do affects the heart of God as well as the lives of so many others!

No comments:

Post a Comment