Friday, March 21, 2014

More Than A Game

Those of you who know my husband know that he loves sports!  I have always enjoyed sports but now that I am married to James I am even more interested.  We especially love cheering for our Baylor Bears during football and basketball season.  That has been a fun activity for us to share because neither one of us got to cheer for a winning team during our college years.  But lately, both the football and basketball teams have been incredible!

Earlier this week I read an article about the Baylor Bears basketball team.  Last weekend they played for the Big 12 Championship title, but unfortunately they lost.  However, the title of the article is what caught my eye - Baylor's 'Extraordinary' Season has Left Lives Changed! Lives changed?  Really?  I had to continue reading to see how a season of basketball had changed lives?  I won't go into all the details but the Bears had been having a very up and down season and after one of their losses the coach, Scott Drew, said "We may not win another game this year, and I may be a horrible coach, but if any of these guys leave without knowing Christ, that will be the real loss." Wow!  In a world where the focus is usually on winning and earthily things this coach kept an amazing eternal perspective!

After reading this article it really challenged me.  How is my perspective?   Is it on earthly things or eternal things?  Who am I around that doesn't know Christ?  Am I doing all that I can to share the word and change lives?  Or am I too focused on things that really don't matter?

It's so easy to get caught up in ourselves and our families and other things, even good things.  But if we are missing opportunities to share the gospel and grow the kingdom of God then the things that take our focus off of God are not even good things.  Often times I think we rationalize that most people around us are Christians and we don't need to worry about sharing the gospel.  Unfortunately, that is not true and it is becoming less true as the years go on.

Back to my Baylor Bears... As a result of this one season and one coach with an eternal perspective - 5 of these players are now new brothers in the family of God!  Amen!!  And to Coach Drew and the other members of the Baylor basketball team  I say, well done, good and faithful servants!

Kim


No comments:

Post a Comment