Tuesday, October 19, 2010

How Can I Love Those Who Hurt Me?

"Whoever loves his brother lives in the Light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble." -- 1 John 2:10

The mark of the Christian is love. This means a believer in Christ is capable of loving others in ways non-believers cannot. A believer in Christ is in the "Light" of Christ. The "Light" is the revelation of God in the person of Jesus Christ. So John is teaching that a believer "walks" or "lives" his or her life in relationship with Christ. Because I live life with Christ, His Spirit is always in me working His power and ability out into my life. I can love, even in difficult circumstances, because the Spirit of Christ is within me, demonstrating His power through me.

A good friend of mine once taught me something that has helped me greatly in my walk with God. He said,"sometimes we must go to God with the simple prayer, "Lord, make me willing to be willing to do the right thing."" Sometimes our will is that of a three year old child who has been denied something he wants. We can be very stubborn and even throw "spiritual fits," demanding our plans when God has other intentions for us. Sometimes, when called to love someone who is difficult to love, we can find ourselves in the midst of one of these "spiritual tantrums." In those moments, when we don't "feel like" loving, we do best to be honest with God and pray the prayer my friend taught me several years ago. God is good and desires His will to be done in our life. When we come to Christ seeking His ability to change our will and produce right actions in our life, He will always be faithful to do so.

If you are struggling to love someone why not go to God with the simple prayer, "God make me willing to be willing to do the right thing." God has told us in Philippians 2:13 He "works in us to will and to act according to His good purpose." Take God at His Word and ask Him to change your will where it needs some "help" today! You can love anyone if you are willing to find the strength to do so "in Christ."

James

1 comment:

  1. Great truth...God is always faithful. I have experienced this recently in my own life!
    Thanks James :)

    ReplyDelete