Monday, June 14, 2010

Dying To Live

"Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself take up his cross and follow me."" These words have been misunderstood by some who believe the cross to be a type of burden to carry. These poor misguided people see the Christian life as burden and toil as they attempt to attain relationship with God by their own self-effort. But the Cross was never an instrument of burden! The Cross was always an instrument of death.

Jesus is teaching that in order to become a Christian you must die to who you are and be raised to new life in Him! Die to your sin, self-effort and old way of living. Die to all you are in order to become all He is! Make sure you aren't attempting to live a good life in order to earn Christ when you should be dying to self in order to be raised with Christ. Paul said, "I am crucified with Christ therefore I no longer live, Jesus Christ now lives in me. And the life I live in the body I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself up for me." Paul recognized the necessity of taking up his cross and dying to himself so he might enjoy new life in Christ. Have you laid down your burdens and self-effort to receive life in Christ?

It is through faith and relationship with Christ that you become a Christian NOT by bearing burdens or doing good works!

James

No comments:

Post a Comment