Monday, January 31, 2011

How to Become a Christian

What does it mean to be a Christian? The term “Christian” means “little Christ” and was first used of followers of Christ at Antioch in the first century AD. Believers in Antioch must have been extraordinary in their commitment and obedience to Christ if they were so associated with his teachings as to be nicknamed “little Christ!” This of course begs the question, “Would you warrant such a nickname?”

Unfortunately, many people believe being a Christian simply means ascent to certain ideas or beliefs. Many claim to be a Christian solely on the basis of their belief in God or Jesus Christ. Others believe being a Christian simply means being a good or moral person. Still others believe being a Christian has to do with the country or family to which they were born.

The truth is, becoming a Christian means far more than mental ascent to a collection of facts, being a moral person or being born in a certain place. Only those who believe and place their trust in the facts about Christ AND give their life to Him are actually transformed into a Christian, a “little Christ.” Becoming a Christian is just that, an actual transformation into a new person with a new identity, new desires and a new way of life. Jesus referred to this transformation as being “born again” during his conversation with Nicodemus in John chapter 3. Becoming a Christian is the equivalent of starting life over as a brand new person!

Have you genuinely believed the truth concerning Jesus Christ as presented in the Bible and entrusted yourself to these truths by giving your life to Jesus? If not, why not? There is no better time than right now to pray the following prayer and in so doing become “born again” as a follower of Jesus Christ!

“Jesus I am sorry for all my sins and I ask you to forgive me. I turn away from my sin and turn to You. I believe you died on the cross to pay the penalty for all of my sins. I give my life to you and ask you to save me from my sin and transform me into a Christian. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.”

If you have prayed this prayer drop us a line and let us know!

James

No comments:

Post a Comment