Thursday, January 17, 2013

I Love Ice Cream, The Texas Rangers...And You!

I have always enjoyed baseball but in the last few years I have really come to "love" baseball. In particular, I "love" my Texas Rangers. I say "love" because I feel an intense enjoyment and "like" for the way they play the game. I also have a great fondness for them because "The Ballpark in Arlington" is only a short distance from where I live. My love for the Rangers is defined by my enjoyment of the game and the convenience of our relationship. Unfortunately, many significant relationships in life are often built on a foundation similar to the one upon which my love of the Rangers is built.

Many times "love" is poorly expressed by the English language. We say we "love" baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and chevrolet but the same word "love" is used when we speak of the relationship we have with our wife, children, mother and father. Other languages have multiple words for differing types of love one feels depending upon circumstance. Greek has three words for love indicating erotic passion, brotherly love and unconditional, sacrificial love. Perhaps our life and relationships would be easier if English had more than one word for love as well. I do love ice cream but it is not the same love I have for my wife or God! It would be nice to know if the love being expressed for us is on par with ice cream or of a much deeper variety!

The Apostle Paul defined love, at least in part, when he wrote 1 Corinthians 13. This chapter of the Bible, often called the "Love Chapter" demonstrates for us what deep, abiding, unconditional love, looks like. This is the type of love we should have for God and people; a love which far surpasses one's fondness for a baseball team or bowl of ice cream. This type of love is expressed by the giving of our life to the object of our affection. This is a love which seeks the good of others and lives sacrificially for them. This is the love we have for our God when we give our life to Him; when we die to self and live in and for Him. This is the love which provides a foundation for all healthy relationships in life.

Make sure you are not attempting to build relationships with God or the people in your life on the same kind of love you have for ice cream! Sometimes our "love" is conditional and based upon what we get rather than what we have the opportunity to give. If you find this to be true of some relationship in your life you can always confess your sin and seek God for a better kind of love and life! 

James

No comments:

Post a Comment