Tuesday, May 11, 2010

No Denying What Really Matters!


As you have noticed by now we missed a blog entry for Monday. We did have a good reason for our absence; I had surgery to remove a basal skin cancer from my neck! Let me begin today with a strong message of warning to those who refuse to use sunscreen or choose to frequent tanning beds...stop the madness! And please put sunscreen on your little kids! Most folks think skin cancer will never happen to them but I am here to tell you it can! The good news is my scar will be healed and almost undetectable due to the great work of my doctors. The bad news is it really hurts when a doctor cuts a patch of skin out of you the size of a silver dollar!

I was thinking this morning about how my experience with skin cancer relates to our walk with Christ; a pastor is ALWAYS looking for good illustrations! I really do believe the biggest lesson to be learned here is the futility of living in denial. For years I went into the sun without sunscreen and allowed my skin to be burned without ever giving a thought to the cost of my foolish behavior. I think a lot of us are prone to the same kind of thinking with regard to our walk with Christ. We allow foolish behavior to become commonplace in our life without considering what such a lifestyle really costs us. Are there blessings and opportunities to bring God glory you are missing out on because of foolish behavior and silly habits which keep you from God's best for your life? Be careful to consider how you spend your life today! Make your life count for Christ! Don't live in denial for someday we will all give an account for how we choose to spend every second of our existence here on earth! I am praying today that we will carefully consider our ways and bring God glory in all we do!

James

No comments:

Post a Comment