Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Today...I Turn 40

When I was 7 years old I remember Elvis Presley dying of a heart attack at the ripe old age of 42. I thought at the time he had lived a long time! I think most of us who have achieved 40 would say 42 is quite young. Yet, so much life truly has already been lived; at times it is easy to think about the inevitable end which relentlessly approaches for us all. Many people have a mid-life crisis when they consider their life at the midway point because of their panic at that approaching end and their lack of accomplishment on their journey thus far.

I look at my life right now and realize more than ever the great blessings God has given me. I did nothing to deserve salvation in Christ but at the age of 9 Jesus saved me from sin and hell. At 9 I placed faith in Jesus and He came to live in my heart. Jesus gave me a brand new life! Everyday since that moment in 1979 I have been involved in a process of learning what that decision means for my life now and in the life to come.

I have had a great family and many wonderful friends; all of whom are an incredible blessing from God. My wife is a blessing for which I am more thankful everyday. My parents and siblings have been the best family any man could ever have. I could not have asked for better opportunities than those of attending Baylor and Southwestern Seminary for my education. I could not have asked for a better mentor than I had in Jimmy Nettles.

I have had great church families along the way too! I am very thankful for all of those at Inglewood Baptist Church in Grand Prairie who nurtured my young faith and help me discover so many wonderful truths about Jesus. Third Street Baptist Church in Waco was my first pastorate and those sweet people were very patient and loving to me. West Oaks Baptist overlooked my many mistakes and loved me deeply as I served as their pastor (my first full-time pastorate) for 8 years in Bryan, Texas. And now forest Avenue Baptist Church has blessed and loved me as I have taken the next step in life by marrying Kim Schupbach.

While there have been many blessings in the past there are (I hope) many more yet to come! I look forward to the next steps life takes and the places and people God allows me the opportunity to love and know. Turning 40 causes you to look back but for me it is more than ever a moment to look forward. Philippians 1:6 says, "He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it." I look forward to every day and the many lessons God has in store for me as He completes the work of making me like Jesus.

James

1 comment:

  1. Great word my friend...thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete