Thursday, May 6, 2010

Self Effort or Christ?

I am reading a book right now called "Covenants and Blessings" by Andrew Murray and it has deeply convicted me. If you are looking for a good read that will challenge your faith and make you much more dependent upon Christ go to amazon.com and buy it!

Have you read Galatians 2:20 lately? Paul writes, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me." We usually recognize our dependence upon Christ for our justification (to be declared in right standing before God through faith alone) but we often fail to see that our sanctification (the process by which we become more like Jesus...more and more perfect) is also dependent upon Christ and our faith in Him alone! The life we now live as believers is to be lived by faith (belief and trust) in Christ alone! If you are frustrated by your failures and lack of growth in your walk with God perhaps it is because you are trusting your willpower and sheer determination (self-effort) to make you more like Christ. Try letting go of control and place your faith in Christ for the work He has promised to do for you. Jesus promised to finish what He started on the day He saved you and made you His child (Phil 1:6). Jesus is making us more like Him so we don't have to take responsibility for making ourselves more Christlike! Our part is simple...we love Him, have faith in Him and cooperate with what He is doing in our heart.

Enjoy your relationship with Christ and have faith in the work He is absolutely doing in your life today!

James


No comments:

Post a Comment